Zo24 The Remix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Zo24 The Remix

Music Forum

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

NY Bans N Word

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Back Like Cooked Crack

Back Like Cooked Crack

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2006-10-10

NY Bans N Word Empty
PostSubject: NY Bans N Word   NY Bans N Word Icon_minitime2/3/2007, 10:41 am

A symbolic resolution banning a commonly-used racial slur is one step closer to passing, after the measure was approved by a review committee on Monday. As NY1’s Molly Kroon reports, sponsors hope the resolution will educate teens on the word’s painful history.

Teenagers hear the word “nigger” – or “nigga” – in popular rap songs and in movies and on the streets.

"It's just used constantly in conversation when you're hanging out with your fellas. We just use it," said one New Yorker.

But it’s a practice some City Council members are hoping to stop.

On Monday the council's Committee on Civil Rights passed a resolution declaring a symbolic moratorium on the use of the word.

The measure will go to the full City Council on Wednesday.

Sponsor Leroy Comrie says he hopes the resolution will spark a dialogue to teach teenagers the derogatory meaning of the term.

"On any given day you can traverse this city and encounter young people of all races casually using the word in public with no regard or knowledge of the terrible history behind it,” said City Council member Leroy Comrie.

It's spurred similar resolutions in cities around the country. The resolution doesn't ban the word or impose fines, but Comrie recently called on the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences to stop nominating artists for Grammies who use it.

"NBA stars and rappers have been the only roll models for far too long,” said Kovon Flowers of the advocacy group Abolish the N Word. “The resolution will be a start for parents teachers and families to take their rightful place as roll models in their children’s lives."

But while some people who spoke to NY1 said they applaud the resolution, many thought it would have little effect in making people stop using the word.

"I don't think a lot of kids know what it means. They just say it because I guess they hear it in rap songs or other somebody else saying it, so they think it's alright,” said one New Yorker.

“I don't think there's much that can be done to stop people from using that word. It's symbolic. It does stand for something, but in the end I don't think it matters that much.”

A sentiment sponsors hope to change with the resolution as a first step.
Back to top Go down

NY Bans N Word
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Zo24 The Remix :: Whats The Word On The Streets... :: Zo24 Remix Random Chat-
Jump to: